The mission of the Fillmore Soil and Water Conservation District is to promote natural resource stewardship by providing educational, technical and financial assistance.
History of the Fillmore SWCD
In 1940 the first soil and water conservation district was organized in Fillmore County. The District encompassed the eastern half of the county. Two years later, in 1942, the Western District was created. A line running north/south from the town of Preston separated the two Districts. In 1962 the East and West District was consolidated into one district by authority of the Minnesota Soil Conservation Committee. It was the opinion of both former boards of supervisors that consolidation would offer more efficient operation.
It has been through the work of many supervisors, district employees, partners and landowners that the rich, but fragile resources of Fillmore County have been protected.
The ever constant goal of the Fillmore SWCD is to conserve our natural resources.